Saturday, March 5, 2011

That movie where Matt Damon wears a silly hat


You probably know that The Adjustment Bureau is finally coming out today, after having its release date pushed back (I believe) more than once.

Which means that I have had quite a long time to think of it as "That movie where Matt Damon wears a silly hat."

To be fair, none of the people in this movie look particularly good in this fedora, be it Terence Stamp, John Slattery or Damon himself. But Damon himself looks particularly silly in it, if you ask me.

My admittedly simplistic characterization of the film is helped by the fact that I haven't read too much else about it, which means I don't know what it's really about. I will say that some of the images from the trailers remind me of an episode of Fringe. And even though I watch Fringe, I'm not necessarily sure this is a good thing. I'm always between three and five episodes behind on Fringe, and even though the world it explores is quite expansive (it literally deals with different dimensions), there's something sort of "small screen" about the whole thing. Which is probably why I'm always behind, rather than voraciously consuming every episode as it comes out.

But The Adjustment Bureau is certainly a contender for me this weekend. I plan to go to the theater for the first time since mid-January, which seems like eons ago now. It's so long ago, in fact, that since the last movie I saw in the theater (Blue Valentine), I've lost my wallet (at Blue Valentine), used a replacement wallet for over two weeks, found my wallet again (the janitorial staff finally turned it in to the lost and found at the theater), and been carrying around my old wallet for a good three weeks now. So yeah, I guess it's time to get back to the movies.

But I need your help. What would you see this weekend, out of the following list of contenders?

The Adjustment Bureau
Rango

Gnomeo & Juliet
Cedar Rapids
Hall Pass

Take Me Home Tonight


The one thing I do know is that there will be a lot more choices from here on out. After what I considered to be a sub-par February for new releases, March is doing its best to redeem things. Next week brings Battle: Los Angeles, Jane Eyre and Red Riding Hood, all three of which I am probably interested in seeing in the theater.

2 comments:

Nick Prigge said...

I would see The Adjustment Bureau. Actually I am seeing The Adjustment Bureau. But then the preview seems to suggest it explores themes that are right up my alley. But then again because of its many delays I'm sure it will be awful and I will be sad and wonder why I bought a ticket even though I'll know why.

So maybe you should see Cedar Rapids. It's pleasantly diverting.

Derek Armstrong said...

Looks like I may end up going to Rango. Hope you don't take this as a total dismissal of your input, Nicholas ... ;-)