Saturday, April 22, 2023

The Pixar movie you'd pitch as a joke

I finally took my younger son to see The Super Mario Bros. Movie today (ugh) and I saw my first moving images of the next Pixar movie, Elemental.

Which confirmed where Pixar gets its ideas these days: from comedians who make jokes about Pixar.

I don't know any actual comedians who make their livings in humor related to animated movies, but if not a comedian, then some snarky but wise cinema commentator -- maybe even a blogger -- would have made the joke about a Pixar movie where elements all live together in a city, which probably most closely resembles Disney's Zootopia, but it's all under the Disney umbrella.

The actual joke I did see was a listing of all the movies Pixar has made and how each one involves the characters in the movie having feelings, even though you wouldn't expect them to. I believe they were posed as a series of questions: "What would happen if toys had feelings? What would happen if cars had feelings? What would happen if bugs had feelings? What would happen if monsters had feelings? What would happen if souls had feelings? What would happen if feelings had feelings?" (That last one is the best.)

"What would happen if elements had feelings?" feels like the joke there, but now it's real. 

I'm teasing Elemental, but in reality, I probably want to see it just as much as any other new Pixar movie that's coming out these days ... though that level is decreasing a bit from what it once was. Even with Turning Red snagging my #3 spot in 2022, that was offset by Lightyear, which I kind of hated. Their success rate is still very high -- it was only 2020 where both of the films they released that year were in my top ten -- but I no longer consider a Pixar movie a slam dunk. 

And for sure, the animation looks really nice. The character designs of the apparent Romeo & Juliet-style romantic leads -- a fire girl, a water boy -- are good. (And so what if they remind me a bit of characters in Inside Out and Soul ... I think it's inevitable at this point.)

Have all the things that could have feelings had feelings by this point? 

Likely not. They still haven't done ... kitchen appliances. Yeah, kitchen appliances.

You think I'm kidding, but just you wait. Check back here in 2028 and we'll be talking about the movie where the whisk and the vegetable peeler go on an exciting journey through the refrigerator.

No comments: