Friday, July 14, 2023

The Mission: Impossible release weirdness continues

As I patiently await my two critics to submit their joint Mission: Impossible review -- patiently, I swear -- I couldn't help but notice this yesterday.

What you are looking at is the marquee from Cinema Kino, downstairs from my office, which I attend on Wednesdays and (most) Thursdays.

This was a Thursday, which means it was the weekly new release day -- and also the day that was originally advertised as the release date for Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One, before it mysteriously came out last Saturday, as discussed here. (I still haven't figured out how to handle all the punctuation in that title, and I'm not going to look back to see if I've been consistent with previous instances.) In fact, as you could see if you blew this picture up, that date is also advertised on a poster for the movie right out front.

As you can also see, the movie is not currently playing at this cinema.

I guess I wouldn't say that it's a guarantee that a cinema will actually show a movie they've advertised in their lobby, especially if they advertise it months earlier before any of these things are settled. 

But when the movie is already released, and it's not playing despite the fact that you're still advertising it in the cinema's most prominent external location, right next to the entrance, facing the food court where everybody eats their lunch?

Yeah it's a bit weird.

If you look deeper into this photo, dear reader, you will see the posters for Insidious: The Red Door and Carmen -- two titles you will see on the marquee above.

Which means the lack of showing Mission: Impossible sticks out like a sore thumb even more.

And since I am, at least theoretically, having two other guys review this for ReelGood, I have no idea when I'll see it either.

No comments: