Friday, August 11, 2023

Lots of stray Strays

Cinema history is littered with the same ideas coming to the screen at the same time in two or more different movies. A less common phenomenon, though one we do see on occasion, is movies with the same title coming to the screen at the same time. Just two years ago I had two movies called Swan Song that both made my top 20 of the year.

I'm not sure I remember, though, an occasion where two movies had (almost) the same title and came out in the same year, where it would be this much of a grave mistake to confuse one for the other.

One of the first movies I saw this year was called The Strays. It's a Netflix original directed by Nathaniel Martello-White, and it's a button-pushing psychological drama involving shame over racial identity, a home invasion, and threats of violence, some of which tips over into actual violence.

Next week, I will likely not be seeing a movie called Strays, which is about talking dogs.

I would hope that a parent looking for entertainment for their child on Netflix would not get very far into The Strays before realizing the mistake. This poster, or whatever artwork accompanies it on Netflix, would likely be enough.

Then again, we often see examples of the world's dumber people doing things that beggar belief, so we can't be sure of this. 

It's not actually a very popular title overall, though there is also a currently running TV show called Strays. Vin Diesel made a movie in 1997 called Strays, and there's also a 1991 TV movie and a 2011 short. 

I hope at least that parents turn off The Strays before one character forces another character to hold a massive weight above his chest in bench press form, a weight the second person cannot hold forever, leading to the off-screen crunching noise of a rib cage caving in. That probably won't help make any children in the audience much more likely to want a pet. 

Wait a second hold on here ...

As I was just getting the art for this post, I noticed that Strays -- the one about the talking dogs -- is rated R. It apparently contains "pervasive language, crude and sexual content, and drug use." Wow, I had no idea.

So I guess maybe parents shouldn't be showing their kids either of these movies ... and I am now slightly more likely to see the one of the two I haven't yet seen.

No comments: