In between movies of my Tuesday night double feature -- an advanced screening of Heart of the Beast and the Korean film Hope, neither of which I apparently want to talk about here -- I saw a trailer for a new animated film in the lobby of the Village Cinemas at Crown Casino.
I wasn't sure at first which company it was, but I found the animation compelling. I'd lose my sense of optimism if it turned out to be a Dreamworks movie, but then the Disney logo came up, and I realized this was why the character animation/movements reminded me a little bit of Tangled.
I kept watching all the way through. It involved a girl who apparently has magical abilities and lives in a world involving witches and their ilk. It seemed fun. Now just for the title.
Hexed. Of course.
I say "of course" because I realized for the first time: This is a Disney thing. Titles that are adjectives ending in -ed, I mean.
You have Tangled, of course. That should be obvious.
But then it goes deeper than that. There is both Enchanted, from 2007, and its sequel, Disenchanted, from 2022.
And here are some others I found, in the larger Disney family:
Godmothered (2020)
Swiped (2025)
And expected in the future, in some cases without release dates:
Swiped (2025)
And expected in the future, in some cases without release dates:
Spooked
Ripped
Tangled (live action) (2028)
Ripped
Tangled (live action) (2028)
Okay that last one does not count as a separate movie.
I'd actually credit Tangled as the progenitor of this, since they (correctly) thought this would be a more inclusive title for the movie than Rapunzel. However, Enchanted does predate Tangled.
If I wanted to cast the web wider, Wikipedia will allow me to do that. The larger production apparatus, which involves subsidiaries, had movies called Shipwrecked and Deceived in 1991. But neither of those really fits the description of Disney content as we're describing it here.

No comments:
Post a Comment