Monday, October 12, 2026

Lowest

One of the weirder miscalculations I've seen this year is Animals, the latest directorial effort by Ben Affleck, in which he plays an independent mayoral candidate in Los Angeles. 

As if anyone other than a Democrat would ever win the election for L.A. mayor, but the Democrat must have been really bad in this case. That's not the miscalculation though.

The weird thing about Animals is that it is yet another remake of Akira Kurosawa's High and Low, only a year after Spike Lee did it with Highest 2 Lowest. 

Clearly the two projects must have had overlap in their gestation, but it's never a good thing when you're the second one out of the shoot, by about a year at that.

I wasn't a huge fan of Highest 2 Lowest, but I can see on Letterboxd that I gave it a positive rating of three stars. That will not be the fate of Animals.

If you want to read more about my specific problems with the movie, I expect to be reviewing it, possibly as soon as today. So check to the right to see if there is already a link up. 

So now that there are three, we can indeed rank them relative to Lee's naming convention for his movie:

High and Low = highest

Highest 2 Lowest = middle one

And I think you know where that leaves Animals. 

No comments: