Thursday, January 3, 2019

Stumbling to ten years

Do you know what today is?

Why, it’s the tenth anniversary of this blog.

Went by in a flash, didn’t it?

Since this blog commenced on January 3, 2009, I have published 2,093 posts, and have 34 others still sitting in drafts for good measure. (I could delete them, but I kind of like strolling down memory lane to see what I started before losing steam, or often, what I started and never published because I decided it was something I didn’t want to put out into the world.)

Another ten years? That looks pretty iffy.

I’d like to say I’m still going strong, but you probably know that’s not true. Oh, I still write the useful post now and again. But gone are the days when I used to have posts written three days ahead of time because of my practice of never posting more than once a day. Of course, my change in time zones back in 2013 – just a few months shy of the halfway point of those ten years – has now left some days from 2009 to 2013 looking like they had multiple posts. But they were posted on separate days when I wrote them, one of a couple personal blogging rules that I’ve never broken on this blog. (Two others: Never use the same poster art twice, never use the same title twice.)

The just completed year of 2018 was only the second in the blog’s history when I wrote fewer than 200 posts, and I wrote a lot fewer, only 171. That’s still 20 more than I wrote in the aforementioned year of 2013. But not only did I move countries that year, I was also without my computer from the end of August until the beginning of November as a local mom and pop computer shop was forever trying to acquire a new motherboard for me. I borrowed my wife’s Mac during that time, but perhaps inevitably did not write as much.

There’s no excuse for writing so little in 2018 except that I’m running out of time and ideas. I can’t find the time in my day to really research the type of in-depth post I used to write, leading to a lot of quick, superficial posts that have more to do with spotting cinematic coincidences than engaging with meaty ideas. I started this blog without any kids, and now I have an eight-year-old and a five-year-old. It takes its toll. I suspect writing less has also diminished my creative juices overall, so I’m not constantly giving birth to new ideas for blog posts. It’s a vicious circle.

I’m not giving up. This is not my resignation post (though that would make quite a tidy end to my blog, wouldn’t it?). I still want to write a quality Audient and I still want you to come and read it.

But I do think I need to re-envision what I want to do with this blog, and ways to revitalize it, both for you and for me. I don’t know if that means more reviews, more lists, recurring features that have more to do with topics you’re interested in than the annual blog series I assign myself, or what. But I think it needs to happen or I won’t go one more year, let alone ten.

What I want to do with the blog has always been something I’ve struggled with. In the early days, I wanted to be active in a community of other bloggers I read regularly, even if it was just for the selfish reason of bringing more eyeballs and comments to my blog. Toward that I end I registered with L.A.M.B. (The Large Association of Movie Blogs), which introduced me to a number of other interesting reads on the subject of film. Almost none of which I check in on anymore. If I don’t have the proper time to cultivate my own blog, I hardly have sufficient time to read others’. That feels like a real shame, because they deserve my eyeballs, probably more than I deserve theirs.

I never really had the spirit of self-promotion required for a successful blog, and still don’t. For the majority of the history of the blog, I didn’t have my real name associated with it, and I still refer to myself as “Vance” to hearken back to those times. Without revealing my identity, I certainly wasn’t promoting my posts on social media. I do that a little bit now, but really only at this time of year, when I want to point people to my year-end posts (which is probably one of my driving forces behind continuing the blog). Part of that promotion was reciprocity with other bloggers, commenting on their posts so they’d comment on mine, and eventually building up a fan base by word of mouth.

But there just aren’t enough hours in the day to do the good work of attaining a presence online. And once you’ve attained it, you have to feed the beast. You have to keep the content interesting or you will quickly lose whatever heat you’ve built up. You also have to stay on top of your design, keep current with movie news, and as I said before, remain an attentive reader of the other blogs you care about. As it turned out, I’d rather use that time to watch a new movie, or rewatch a favorite, than to read about these things.

Blogging can be a lonely pursuit at times. You tend to measure your accomplishments by the number of comments you get. But really, many if not most blogs suffer in the comments department. One of my favorite bloggers out there, Nick Prigge of Cinema Romantico, does not get comments on most of his posts, even though they are brilliantly written and he deserves them. But not everyone who reads your work wants to actually comment on it, which is their right. Page visits can be a helpful benchmark of your reach when comments are not. Ultimately, you have to write blog posts for yourself, because if you’re seeking validation you aren’t usually going to get it.

I made peace with that a long time ago, and the occasional comments I do get are cherished. Even doing the blog for myself, however, has run out of some of its ability to self-sustain.

I think the short term goal will not be to worry too much about “keeping up appearances.” If I go two weeks without a post sometimes, so be it. If I’m doing this mostly for myself, I don’t need to worry about what others think of my blogging health and prosperity. If I write only when I’ve got something truly interesting to say, that will be better, as it will reward them when they do come and read, and they’ll come back. If I’m just pointing out coincidences in my viewing schedule, and only so I have something to write about during a given two-week period, well, maybe that’s not that useful.

I also vow – call it a New Year’s resolution – to find new ways of making The Audient more interesting. Again, I don’t expect a reader spike or comment spike as a result of any initiatives I put into place. But if I myself recognize that it’s not as interesting as it should be, then you probably do too. As with everything related to blogging, you have to make it interesting to yourself before it can be interesting to anyone else.

So I’m sorry if this seems like a bit of a bummer of a ten-year anniversary post. It’s just these are my honest thoughts on where I am at the moment.

I wanted to go out on a high note by drawing attention to one post I'm really happy with from each of the ten years, to bring the kind of retrospective quality a post like this should have. Truth is, it's the holidays, I've been out of town, and I just didn't have the time before my deadline arrived. Can't celebrate a January 3rd ten-year anniversary on January 10th, now can you?

But I did want to say that in the approximately one week since I first wrote a draft of this, I've posted almost every day and written actual posts that I would enjoy reading. So that's my high note. I love blogging, and I will continue to do so. I can't promise you ten more years, but I can promise I'm going to go forward with a new fire in my blogging loins.

Won't you join me?

3 comments:

Scott said...

"But there just aren’t enough hours in the day to do the good work of attaining a presence online. And once you’ve attained it, you have to feed the beast. You have to keep the content interesting or you will quickly lose whatever heat you’ve built up."

I feel ya. Years and years ago (starting in Aug 2008) I started a gaming blog and for nearly 3 years I poured my time and energy into it. Hundreds and hundreds of posts. Then about Year 4 I started to feel like maybe I wanted to do something else, as that was circa 2013 and I started to notice a real drop-off in readers. I never had a huge following, but would always manage double digit views per day at least, and had hundreds of comments. I just started to feel like a change was occurring in the mindsets of people around 2012/2013...like they just wanted video content. By 2014 I was throwing in the towel for the post part, and reduced my writing to a couple times a month at most. By the end of 2016 I finally axed my gaming blog altogether. It was sad, and it definitely bummed me out. But how could I compete with YouTube videos that had flashy intros and insane production values and viewership #s that dwarfed every single post I had ever written? It became too much, and my heart was no longer in it.

"You tend to measure your accomplishments by the number of comments you get. But really, many if not most blogs suffer in the comments department. I made peace with that a long time ago, and the occasional comments I do get are cherished"

That is good. I also valued comments because I felt like I was really connecting with a reader enough to get a genuine response from them. Not a like. Not a thumbs up. Not a 144 character tweet or YouTube-length comment.

But those days (for me) ended waaaaaaaaaaay back when. If I do blog now, it's just for me. I have zero expectations of anyone reading what I write. There's a book called "The Shallows" (Pulitzer prize finalist, from ~2011) that dives into this problem of the internet effectively warping minds to the point where they can't just sit and read. The written word is too hard and foreign for them to comprehend. And certainly anything written being a few hundred characters is completely out of the question.

So, I dunno man. It's a pickle for sure. On one hand you get a real sense of joy and measurable accomplishment by writing online...but on the other hand fewer and fewer people read nowadays. I'd like to say just convert your endeavors to a YT channel, but honestly, the window of opportunity for that (on most subjects) passed about 3-4 yrs ago. Everyone and their brother has a YT channel now about [insert niche here].

I would say go to a bi-weekly posting on the blog and see if that helps. Not saying you have to do super in-depth posts or anything, but heck if you only have a couple hundred meaty posts still left in you, why not spread those out across several years, doing one every couple weeks? You might be able to get years of material with that approach. Regular readers will appreciate anything.

Well, take care.

Nick Prigge said...

I echo a lot of those sentiments above, my friend. As an itty bitty ad free org, Cinema Romantico never really had THAT many readers, but my God, the change in numbers from the end of 2013 to the end of 2018 is depressingly stark. A lot that, though, is just, like he says above, the blogging platform wilting. So many of those movie blogs we ran with Back In The Day have long since died off.

I'm much like you in that I dislike self-promotion, and still do, and probably always will, but I feel like selfishly sharing a link here anyway. I share it because I wrestled with the same sort of questions you're asking last year.http://www.cinemaromantico.org/2018/07/tending-my-garden.html

I haven't burned out, but I feel more tired all the time. I don't have kids, but I did get married and my job has become so much busier and so has life and yada yada. And yet, as I address in the post, I am motivated to keep going and not for nothing.

It's a tough question to ask, why do I do this? Do I want to keep doing this? I trust you will be honest with yourself.

Derek Armstrong said...

Thanks Scott and Nick, I immensely appreciate your comments, especially as they give me a better perspective on blogging on the whole. It's funny, I've done such little due diligence in reading others' blogs that I was not even consciously aware of some of the sea changes of which you speak ... but 2013 does seem like a good line of demarcation between BEFORE and AFTER. I wonder why that year specifically?

You're right, Scott, that YT likely has a big share of the responsibility. The written word has always been more my business than the sharing opinions business, though obviously I do both. But I don't think I present nearly well enough to be on YouTube, nor do I have the inclination to figure out how to edit clips into my videos to make them funnier/more interesting. I have tremendous admiration for the film-related YT channels of people like Red Letter Media and Jenny Nicholson, but I also recognize how much work that is and how little time I feel I have to devote to such an endeavor. I also have a podcast that records only about every couple months these days, so that does give me some outlet. I’m sorry you felt you had to give up your blog, but I can certainly understand why you did. My solution is just to do it more half-assed … though as I said, I’m hoping to reverse that a bit in 2019 and beyond.

Nick, I read your garden-tending piece – thanks for sharing. I mentioned you in my post because I remain in a state of admiration for your brain and how it analyzes information, then gives us something sublime on the page to contemplate each time out. If you can’t get comments, how can I? But again, I think I’ve gotten to the point where I’m not as worried about it. If I do interesting work, people will find it – some people, anyway. The doing interesting work part is the challenge. A couple of my old posts keep getting stray comments now and again as they moved up through Google’s search results, some of them six or seven years old. I kind of enjoy that that’s still possible, and it won’t be if I close down shop.

Appreciate the comments guys, especially on a post like this.