Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Life in a day, Linklater style

When you have the house to yourself for a couple days, and you're a cinephile, you don't only watch movies. You do movie projects.

Hence this past weekend, when I watched the entire Before trilogy and Boyhood in one day.

I love the trilogy – with an asterisk that I’ll get to in a minute – but Before Sunrise was the only one of the three films I’d seen more than once, even though Before Midnight was my #2 movie of 2013. Seeing the characters age 18 years in one day was the main impetus behind my Linklater Day, but I wanted a fourth movie, and Boyhood was an obvious candidate to keep the theme going – making it, suppose, a Linklater/Hawke Day. I’d already seen Boyhood twice, but it’s a movie whose pleasures grow with each viewing, and it had been about four years since that second viewing.

But it was also my last full day at home before the family returns, so I couldn’t just watch movies. There were piles of undifferentiated crap I needed to clean up before they got home, to disguise the fact that I’d let their home become a hovel while they were gone.

So I created, and stuck to, the following schedule:

8 a.m. – Before Sunrise
12 p.m. – Before Sunset
4 p.m. – Before Midnight
8 p.m. – Boyhood

I suppose if it hadn’t been for Boyhood I could have tried to actually match the movies to their times of day, maybe watching Sunrise at some ridiculously early hour, Sunset in the late afternoon and Midnight at night. And though I’d been sleeping poorly with the family gone (always happens, not sure why) and I actually could have watched Sunrise at an ungodly hour, knowing I could take a nap later on, I liked the neatness of starting one of these movies every four and hours, and washing dishes/doing laundry in between.

I considered taking notes, to make sure I didn’t forget any little observations I might make about something Jesse said in the third movie that contradicted something he said in the first, that kind of thing. And I did notice a few such things that I’ll try to reproduce here. But I didn’t end up taking those notes, because I didn’t watch these movies to geek out on their minutiae or pick apart their internal consistency. I watched them to have the experience of life, of lives, wash over me, two lives in three movies and four lives in the fourth.

As such, I suppose my thoughts on the day will be a bit stream-of-consciousness. Which is appropriate for four movies that dwell on the vagaries of time and memory.

Since I need some place to start, I thought I’d share a couple technical challenges that impacted my viewings of two of the four movies.

I had Sunrise, Sunset and Boyhood as DVDs borrowed from the library, but my library reservation of Before Midnight didn’t come through in time. So I rented and streamed that off iTunes, which presented me with a few technical difficulties – though not, as it turned out, as significant a difficulty as one of the DVDs.

I got through Sunrise and Sunset with nary an issue, but the streaming of Before Midnight was imperfect. I have any number of possible candidates to blame, from the fact that I haven’t updated iTunes for a while, to the general slowness of my rapidly aging computer, to the crap internet we have. The good news, though, was that the way the viewing was sometimes compromised amplified the film’s themes. I’ll explain.

Though it didn’t happen throughout, the way the streaming issue manifested itself was in terms of the image lagging, and then going in fast forward for however long it took to catch up. The key to this not being that annoying was that the audio was totally unaffected. There wasn’t a single hiccup in Linklater’s dialogue (also written by Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy), which is really what you come to a Linklater movie to experience. So while the mouths were sometimes out of sync and occasionally it played like a sped up movie from the early 20th century, there was no interruption to the audio flow. I allowed this to function as an extension of Linklater’s familiar concerns regarding our inability to grasp moments and hold onto them. Time is always speeding away out of our control. Or sometimes it does seem to stand still. But either way, it is not something we can control.

The problem with Boyhood was more annoying, but I did also manage to fit in with Linklater’s themes. Although I could not see much in the way of scratches on the disc’s surface, the Boyhood DVD did have glitches that in this case affected both the sound and the image. I wiped it clean with a tissue, to no avail. There were a couple times when I worried I’d have to abandon the viewing, and looked to see if it was available on any of my streaming services (it wasn’t). I could have rented it from iTunes, but fortunately, it never got annoying enough to resort to that measure. The worst that happened is that I missed a couple short chunks of the movie, four minutes on one occasion and eight minutes on another, which wasn’t fatal as I’d already seen the movie twice. All the other continuity blips were ten seconds or less. It was infrequent enough that I was able to persevere.

When I thought about the moments I’d missed – including, quite poignantly, the end of Patricia Arquette’s final speech about the next event on her schedule being her funeral – at first I regretted missing them. But then I thought “How perfectly Linklater.” Boyhood is a movie that, by design, lurches forward, missing moments in life that we might think should be a part of any highlight reel. But that’s kind of the point, isn’t it? Again it feels like life is speeding away from us, and we look up one day and our child is graduating high school. Missing little bits of Boyhood only made the loss the movie is exploring all the more profound.

But back to the main impetus for this viewing day. What would I think of the growth, or lack thereof, of Jesse and Celine over the course of 18 years of their lives, consumed by me within the space of ten hours?

I did indeed notice those small inconsistencies, which I would not say resulted from a lack of care by the three central filmmakers, but rather, functioned as an intentional point about the way human beings are inconsistent, or how their viewpoints change over time. In Before Sunrise, for example, Jesse asks Celine if she believes in reincarnation as part of his hypothesizing on how a million reincarnated souls from the beginnings of human existence have splintered themselves into the billions of people inhabiting the planet today. She responds, definitively, that she does believe in reincarnation. In one of the later movies – Before Midnight I think – he asks her that question again, and she says she doesn’t.

Jesse regularly says that he “remembers everything” – including the type of condom they used in Vienna – but he doesn’t remember asking her whether she believes in reincarnation, and therefore can’t hold her to her original response. This is just the nature of human experience. It was a relatively insignificant moment in their day, and maybe he didn’t even remember positing his “million souls for a billion lives” theory with her – maybe he used that one on all the girls at that time. But neither is her inconsistency an issue. She may have once believed in reincarnation, but as the practicalities of the world crushed her, she stopped believing in it. Or maybe she never believed in it, but saying she did was part of the self she wanted to present to Jesse when she first met him, when she thought that’s what he wanted her to say. Now that they’re married and there’s no wooing left to be done, she can drop the charade.

One thing I noticed, though, was that watching these movies back-to-back-to-back did not give me some grand unifying theory of Jesse or Celine. I have ideas about each of them, which the actors worked on and consciously toyed with over the course of the three films. But what struck me was just how much these did indeed seem like the same characters, matured in some ways and still stunted in others, over the course of nearly two decades. I’m not sure if Hawke and Delpy made specific choices to achieve this, or it was a function of them playing only small variations on their actual selves, but there’s a remarkable overarching consistency to their characters, which is probably only enhanced by the type of inconsistencies mentioned above.

Rather than talking about Jesse and Celine as such, though, I want to talk a bit about myself. When Linklater is at his best, he gets you interfacing with yourself, examining the way his themes touch on your own life.

And as it happens, these movies line up with my own life pretty significantly. I’m one of those viewers who can say that he’s taken similar steps to Jesse and Celine as they’ve taken them, as both Hawke and Delpy are within four years of me in age. However, they’re playing about two years younger than they actually are, as they were supposed to be 23, 32 and 41 in these movies, when they were actually more like 25, 34 and 43. Anyway, the point is, I was doing some of the things they were doing, when they were doing them, in my real life.

Only I didn’t see Before Sunrise when it first came out. In fact, I didn’t see it until 2001. Who knows how my first viewing might have been different in 1995, a year I was melancholy about graduating from college, but in 2001 I was swept up in the romanticism of it. Which is interesting because that was a bit of a tumultuous year for me. I moved from New York to Los Angeles in May, and had a really difficult transitional summer there, complicated by a relationship that didn’t pan out the way I hoped it would. However, I saw it in November that year, and by then, I’d settled in and had new romantic irons in the fire, though I was not dating anyone just yet. I guess my new sense of optimism was enough for me to dive right into Before Sunrise.

I did see Before Sunset in the theater, and now we get to the asterisk I teased you with earlier. Although this is the favorite movie in the series for a lot of people I know, I was in no condition to appreciate it when I saw it. The summer of 2004 was another time of great tumult for me, except instead of just having emerged from it, as was the case with Before Sunrise, I was still right in the thick of it when I watched Before Sunset. At the time, I was mourning the end of/trying to rekindle a nearly two-year relationship, while also desperately flinging myself at a long distance rebound relationship with the intensity of an addict. The optimistic ending of Before Sunset didn’t land for me as I felt a particular pessimism about my own prospects.

The interesting thing now, in watching Before Sunset for the second time, is to realize how soon things were going to look up for me – and in a way that feels specifically related to this movie. At the end of 2004 I met my wife, and our first big trip together was to go to my friend’s wedding in Spain in June of 2005. We combined that trip with four days in Paris. So only a year after I watched Jesse and Celine walk around Paris, feeling hopeless even as they felt hopeful, I myself was walking around Paris with my future wife. It was something I hadn’t ever considered until I watched this movie again, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I still think it’s only my third favorite of these movies, but that is now a very strong third favorite. (And I had additional appreciation for it in the context of this marathon, as a result of its sub-80-minute running time.)

My second viewing of Before Midnight also involved the realization of something I could never have known would have been related to me when I first watched the movie. I watched Before Midnight about three months before I moved to Australia, but since that move came together so quickly, it wasn’t even a twinkle in our eye when I saw the movie. (In fact, we’d just bought a house the year before, so moving was probably the furthest thing from our minds.) One of the trepidations about being married to someone from another country is you never know which country you’re going to live in, and whether you may need to move to that other country for the good of your marriage/family, leaving behind the country you know. This is a major point of argument between Celine and Jesse in Before Midnight, as Jesse is feeling the acute loss of not being there as his teenage son grows up. He tries to sell Celine on moving to Chicago. Only a few months after I saw this transpire on screen, I moved to Australia for the good of my wife’s career prospects. Nearly six years later, we still live here.

Some other things about the movie really ring true that I couldn’t have known at the time, either. In 2013 I had only one child, who was not yet three years old. As my second was born on the first of January in 2014, I must have already known he was coming when I saw the movie in May, but only just. So at the time, Celine and Jesse’s argument about who did what in the marriage, vis-à-vis the children, was probably just a bit abstract. Now that I have two, I’m even more conscious of the truth that the man (me) packs only his clothes when the family goes on vacation, while the woman (my wife) packs everything else. I saw in myself some of Jesse’s blithe lack of awareness of just how much Celine does for their family, I’m ashamed to say. However, I’m glad to say I think it’s something both Jesse and I are working on.

As I said, this was a bit stream-of-consciousness and it has probably gone on longer than you care to read, unless you are Nick Prigge and eat up new Before talk in perpetuity.

I’ll close by saying that this was an enthralling day of movie viewing, with built-in breaks where menial tasks allowed me to ponder the significance of what I’d watched. It was a day where memories from my own romantic and family life swam in and out of the front of my mind, reacquainting me with people I hadn’t thought of in years, and how we’d done right by each other, or failed in that regard.

But neither was it a melancholy day. Even when movies are about melancholy things, they invigorate your spirit when they are as good as these four.  

No comments: