Friday, April 5, 2019

The tease of working above a movie theater

Almost exactly a year ago, my job moved into a shopping plaza that has a movie theater in it. No, I don’t work at a women’s haute couture clothing store. The shopping plaza has twin skyscrapers set into it, and I’m in one of them. (Only third floor, though, so don’t get too jealous of my view.)

The year since then has been a sustained tease.

I’ve got this movie theater within about a minute’s walk from my desk, depending on how quickly the elevator or “lift” arrives. Yet I haven’t once seen a movie there.

Okay, that’s not entirely true. I’d say I have probably seen five to ten movies at Cinema Kino in the past year. But I’ve only seen those movies by going home, and then later that night, in the 9 to 9:30 range, coming all the way back in to work to attend that particular theater.

Most of the blame for this is quite obvious and nothing I can do anything about. When I leave work each day, my time is not my own. I need to go pick up children from school, or if my wife has picked them up, I need to go right home anyway so I can help make dinner. A two-hour sojourn to the movies isn’t usually in the cards.

But you figure it might have happened at least once, on a special occasion. It hasn’t, and it won’t happen later today either, even though I’ve got a very special occasion right in front of me. That special occasion is my wife and my kids going to Tasmania for five days, and leaving me behind in Melbourne, for a rare chance to do what I please, when I please.

If for no other reason than that it had never happened before, I decided I was going to go see a movie after work on Friday. Just for the novelty of it. Just for the convenience of it. Goddammit, I’ve got to use my proximity to the theater as an excuse for seeing a movie at least once.

But I’ll tell you why I can’t, or rather, why I won’t: They don’t program the damn movies for the end of my workday.

I get off at 5. The movies at Cinema Kino don’t have any interest in that. Here’s when they start today:

Shazam – 3:40 p.m., 6:30 p.m.
Dumbo – 6:00 p.m.
Sometimes Always Never – 6:10 p.m.
The Happy Prince – 4:20 p.m., 6:50 p.m.

And then a couple of other movies I’ve already seen that are not conveniently timed even if I hadn’t seen them.

This may represent a difference between Australia and the U.S., but what happened to all those 5:35 time slots you usually get for a movie? I feel like movies in the U.S. play at 1:10, 3:20, 5:35, 7:25 and 9:40. Don’t they?

I thought about figuring out a way to slip out early and see the 3:40 showing of Shazam, but it defeats the purpose of having a theater conveniently located near my work if going to see a movie there requires feats of great inconvenience. If I’m going to leave work 90 minutes early, I could go to any theater anywhere, and besides, I’d want to do it for a reason better than Shazam.

Oh, so I suppose you want me to wait around for a whole hour and see Dumbo? See the previous paragraph. Sure, I could eat something, drink something, wait it out. But by about 5:40 I’d probably be saying “All this for *$%@! Dumbo?” Besides, I want to get this movie out of the way so I can get home and start enjoying my house with no one in it. This weekend, the novelties will abound.

The fantasy I really have about having a theater so close is being able to duck out for a long lunch and see an 11:30 movie or a 1:00 movie. But I’m not an executive, so I don’t have the liberty to do something like that. And that would be a really long lunch, considering that I only get 30 minutes.

It hardly seems sporting that I’m annoyed about Cinema Kino being so near yet so far, considering that when I do see movies there, I see them for free as part of my critic association membership. That should be novelty enough.

But I want it all, dammit.

Or at the very least, one single 5:25 start time of some movie, any movie.

Please?

No comments: