Tuesday, July 19, 2022

The sneaky three-timer, and other Hamlet rewatch thoughts

I haven't written about many of the previous #1s I'm watching this year as I've actually watched them, but Hamlet, my #1 of 2000, rose to that level for a couple reasons. If you're keeping track at home, it's the 16th of an eventual 26 I am rewatching before I rank them all at the end of the year, and it's probably the last before I leave on my 3.5-week trip to America a week from now. It also happens to be the next one that will get mentioned in my August monthly post reviewing my 2000 film rankings.

As I've been revisiting these movies I have previously crowned with my top yearly honors, I've also been reminded of the full size of the casts, some larger than others. You don't get a lot of other actors in, say, 127 Hours, but Michael Almereyda's adaptation of Hamlet with its all-star cast provides plenty of familiar faces -- and chances to see who might appear in multiple films I've named #1. That's another obsession of mine, each year trying to figure out who I can add to the two-timers list. My longest term obsession is seeing if the same director will score two different #1s, but that hasn't happened yet. 

Hamlet has two actors I already knew of who had appeared in another top film for me, those being Bill Murray, who also appears in Lost in Translation, and Ethan Hawke, who also appears in First Reformed. Last night I added a third, and for him, it's also a third #1 -- even if you can only barely count what he does here as "appearing in" the film.

You probably recognize Casey Affleck from the photo above, "playing" Fortinbras, the Prince of Norway in the original play, who has his sights set on vengeance for the death of his own father, which gives him something in common with the title character. In the play, if memory serves, he only barely appears at the end, never having factored into the drama before then except as an everpresent looming threat.

Well, he doesn't appear on screen at all in Almereyda's film, but he does appear in this photo on this news telecast, the last shot of the film, and possibly one other at the beginning, though I didn't recognize it as Affleck if he did. (By the way, that's Robert MacNeil of The MacNeil-Lehrer Report.) 

The reason this is significant is that just last year Affleck punched his card into this exclusive fraternity with his second #1, as Our Friend added to A Ghost Story to accomplish the rarefied feat. This "appearance" in Hamlet means he's at three, which, if I remember correctly, ties him with only one other person, that being Charlie Kaufman (Adaptation, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, I'm Thinking of Ending Things).

Is it a bit cheeky to count this? Sure. Affleck probably didn't even need to be on set. He only needed to give them permission to use a photo of him. It seems strange that they even used him, since he was only 24 and not yet widely known -- though his credits before this do include Good Will Hunting, To Die For and 200 Cigarettes among others. Tellingly, though, his role in American Pie the year before was uncredited, and only three years earlier in Chasing Amy he's billed as "Little Kid." Must have been a specific reason they used him, some connection in the cast, but a quick search of the internet did not yield it. (Though that search did remind me that Fortinbras appears in a few other photos, on a magazine cover and in a newspaper article I think -- I must have not been paying attention or thought it looked like him.)

One final note about Fortinbras: It's an avatar I have sometimes used, because it is roughly the Latin version of my own last name, Armstrong. 

Another behind-the-camera two-timer

There are doubtless collaborators who don't appear on the screen -- at all -- who worked on more than one of my #1s. Was the key grip on The Wrestler also the key grip on Moon? Undoubtedly.

The only ones of those in the past I've noticed are for screenwriting (the aforementioned Kaufman) and cinematography (Emmanuel Lubezki, who shot both Children of Men and Birdman, my #1s of 2006 and 2014). These are the sorts of core behind-the-scenes contributors who achieve renown for the way their art transcends the anonymity of most of the names that appear in the credits. They're the kind of people who become known among casual cinephiles, whose work becomes a factor in getting you pumped up for a particular project. 

Well, you can add the music department to that. 

As I was watching the closing credits of Hamlet -- more on them in a moment -- I noticed that Carter Burwell did the music. If you're the sort of casual cinephile who doesn't recognize that name, Burwell has worked on most of the Coens' projects -- most significantly, in my mind, having composed the delightful bluegrass theme "Way Out There" from my beloved Raising Arizona, my favorite movie of all time. You know, the one with the hillbilly yodeling. 

He hasn't made it to my #1 spot working with the Coens -- they've never had a #1, though in retrospect Fargo would be my #1 of 1996, the first year I started doing this, instead of Looking for Richard, another Shakespeare movie. But he did get there through another movie: Adaptation

I didn't realize this until I went hunting through IMDB, sure that he would have scored some other #1 of mine but not being sure which one it was. There you go.

Speaking of music ...

The lingering impression of the closing credits music

In 2000, I remember really liking Hamlet as I was watching it ... and then being taken to another place by the music over the closing credits. 

The song is called "Greentone" by Accelera Deck, and because I can, I thought I'd include the song here so you can get a sense of the apocalyptic vibe that had such an impact on me:


The industrial percussive quality of this song makes it so ominous. It's like wandering the corridors of Hell.

I don't really know if I would have chosen another movie as my #1 without "Greentone." Probably not. But the music, such a perfect soundtrack for savoring what I just watched, made it a certainty.

And it's not the only time this has happened with a #1 movie of mine.

There may be others, but the one that jumps to mind is the closing credits of Toni Erdmann. I was already in a state of melancholy contemplation when that movie came to its close after two hours and 40 minutes, but then I heard the opening strains of The Cure's "Plainsong" start to play. Transportation city.

Here's that one:



Yep. I was helpless to consider any other movie my #1.

Does this make a lot of sense? No it doesn't. But there's certainly something to be said for the last audio impression a movie makes on you. I happen to know that the usage of Sia's "Waving Goodbye" over the end of The Neon Demon has a major impact on my thoughts on that film. Just this week, I was taken to another headspace by Birdy's "Quietly Yours" at the end of the brand new Netflix adaptation of Persuasion, which alone prompted me to elevate it a half-star. (Realizing after the fact that this song alone had been responsible for turning a 3.5 into a 4, and that some other critics had complaints about the movie that resonated with me, I demoted it back to 3.5 before publishing my review, which you can find here.)

So, memo to anyone out there who's making a movie: If you want me to slobber all over your work, just stick the audio landing and we'll be good.

Baby Blum

While scouring this film's credits on IMDB for this post, I notice another something really weird. If I thought Casey Affleck was too young to be thrust into the sort of significance his character has in this movie, what about the movie being produced by a zygote Jason Blum?

Blum was actually 31 by the time Hamlet was released, but the sort of industry-dominating career he would forge was just a twinkle in his eye back then. In fact, he's listed as an executive producer, which can be a sort of ceremonious credit, not necessarily someone who did the hard yards. However, it's only the fourth of what is now 217 credits on IMDB. The others are on a short and a feature I've never seen, though his debut is pretty impressive: In 1995 he was listed as an associate producer on Noah Baumbach's Kicking and Screaming, another film I dearly love.


                                                             ************

Okay, speaking of ceremonious things, this is a pretty good halfway point post for my 2022 #1 rewatches project. It's more than halfway, which gives it something in common with the baseball season, also currently in its break for the all-star game -- a break point that occurs more than halfway through the season. 

This post is not just about Hamlet, as I have name-checked -- let me see -- 14 other former #1s in this post. I'm eager to see how I go with my final ten titles, to be resumed after August 20th, and how I end up ranking these 26 dear favorites. 

No comments: