Sunday, June 18, 2023

RSVP'ing for an advanced screening you are not attending

This week I RSVP'd for two of my writers on ReelGood to attend a July 3rd advanced screening of (inhale) Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning - Part 1

I noticed there were two options for the sort of RSVP you could give:

1) I would like to attend

2) I cannot attend

Who bothers to click on an RSVP button in an email to open up a new responding mechanism with several screens to click through just to tell the PR department for a studio that you won't be there?

Then I wondered:

Shit, should I be politely declining all the invitations I get, just to stay in their good graces?

Seems unnecessary and certainly unlikely. However, the PR industry operates on unofficial rules of protocol, unwritten traditions that allow everyone's ego to be properly finessed and palm to be properly greased. For example, you can't attend a screening and then not write a review. Or rather, you can, but expect those invitations to dry up pretty quickly, as well as possibly a nastygram from the publicist.

I don't think I'm receiving fewer invites than I normally would just because I haven't been saying "thanks but no thanks," but you never know.

Anyway, I'm not going to start now. 

No comments: