Wednesday, March 2, 2022

I relate to this guy

I said I'd be back to frivolous posts the day after I posted about Ukraine.

I did not lie. This is as frivolous as it gets. 

I finally watched CODA on Monday night, wiping the egg off my face for having missed that it was available on AppleTV+, and therefore, I could have easily watched it before my ranking deadline. That leaves Nightmare Alley as the only BP nominee I have yet to see.

There are probably lots of things I could say about this lovely little movie, which definitely gave me the sniffles (twice) at the end, but today I want to talk about peanut butter.

Now, I have always found there to be something a bit piggy about a little habit I have of eating peanut butter directly out of the jar. I usually don't dive straight into the jar; the situation more often arises when I've run out of crackers and still want a few more knifefuls of the stuff before I'm fully satisfied. (I am actually eating peanut butter and crackers as I type this.)

There shouldn't be anything inherently gross about it -- it's packed full of protein and heart-healthy fats -- but because it sort of looks to be in the same family as other jarred condiment-like sweets, like jam and fudge ice cream topping, you sort of feel like a gluttonous little kid who can't get enough when you just eat it by the spoonful.

Not Frank Rossi. He does it on the job, in front of his son and anyone else who cares to see:


Of course, Frank is the deaf fisherman who is the father of our main character, Ruby. He's played by Troy Kotsur. 

Kotsur has been nominated for an Oscar for his work, and rightly so. He deserves to have his work spoken of outside of his ability to eat peanut butter, but here we are. (But I'll just throw this in: It was a moment by him in the final scene that got my waterworks the flowing-est.)

Frank realized what I have realized but still can't fully accept on face value: Peanut butter tastes good, it is (relatively) good for you, and it's quick. An argument could be made that you are actually detracting from the value of its nutrients by adding two slices of gluteny bread, which just goes straight to your thighs, even if it makes the eating experience more socially acceptable.

If it's good enough for Frank, it's good enough for me.

Frank also favors Jif, another good choice. That used to be what I bought when I lived in America. Always the creamy, never the crunchy, though I can't tell just from this shot which kind Frank has here. Skippy never did it for me to the same extent. What other brands are there? Peter Pan? Smuckers? I don't have an American grocery shelf nearby to check.

Since moving to Australia, though, I have discovered the world's best peanut butter:


Which is weird, because Australians aren't historically very big on peanut butter as a sandwich ingredient. They'll go with vegemite (of course) and jam for kids -- yuck, not in the same sandwich -- but not usually peanut butter. Which is especially the case now that everyone is hypersensitive about nut allergies. I don't know if it has a bright future, I only know I have no trouble getting it, which is all that matters to me for now. 

Yes I do think it's a bit funny that the company is called Sanitarium.

I should say that there is one additional reason I relate to Frank: He's wearing a Boston Red Sox cap. I have two such caps that are basically identical to this.

I'm not a deaf fisherman though.

No comments: