Thursday, October 20, 2022

For example, do I have to watch The School for Good and Evil?

As you know because I've been discussing it, I'm trying to control the onslaught of 2022 films, which are coming faster and furiouser than I ever remember them coming before. It's to the point where each time I learn of a new movie that I "have" to watch, I start to get a bit squidgy.

I learned about The School for Good and Evil for the first time when they plastered the train station near my office with advertisements for Netflix, as discussed here. Each time I've passed the two or three spackled-up posters for it -- some of which have been torn away by cheeky escalator riders, or gotten eyes or teeth blacked out by Sharpies -- here is a sampling of my thoughts:

1) "God those women have annoyingly perfect cheek bones."

2) "Maybe it's a TV show so I can skip it."

3) "Oh nope, it's a movie."

4) "Maybe the annoyingly, generically perfect cheek bones means it's some crap for young people that I can just not watch."

And so that's kind of where I had landed.

Until The School for Good and Evil itself landed on Netlfix last night and they started promoting the hell out of it, meaning I discovered that the movie also stars Charlize Theron, Cate Blanchett, Kerry Washington (who I did recognize in the poster), Michelle Yeoh and Laurence Fishburne.

Dammit.

I still came to write this post without the following bit of knowledge, which I have just determined after downloading the poster: It's directed by Paul Feig.

Dammit.

The number of films from big directors or with big casts that are coming out this fall are starting to truly stagger me. It's gotten to the point where I have to fit in even streaming movies the moment they're available if I don't want them to get swept away into oblivion. It was for that reason that I watched the new Australian movie, The Stranger, starring Joel Edgerton and Sean Harris, the first night it became available on Netflix last night -- which is also how I became acquainted with the cast of The School for Good and Evil.

I've already got such a backlog of kid-friendly Halloween movies that I'm planning an October 30th double feature of The Curse of Bridge Hollow and Hocus Pocus 2 for my family. Am I going to have to make this a triple feature?

It isn't even November and 2022 is already drowning me in movies. 

No comments: