Saturday, May 7, 2022

Not dead, just in a rut

When you tell everyone you've finished your COVID film festival and are emerging from the garage, and then don't post anything on your blog for the next six days, people may wonder if you've, you know, died.

I haven't, nor have I been in a relapse. (Though the hacking cough is still strong.)

However, being in a film rut feels like a small death sometimes.

Maybe after watching 22 films in six days, there is nowhere to go but down, but it does definitely feel like I'm suddenly in a state of lethargy when it comes to movies.

I did finally get back out to the theater last night, first time in two and a half weeks, to watch The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, which I enjoyed. Not as much as I wanted to enjoy it, and maybe that's an indication of the problem.

I've only written three reviews in the past month, though you can stretch that to four if you want to include the one I wrote on April 8th -- technically the past month I guess. The prospect of reviewing the Nicolas Cage movie underwhelms me somewhat, in part because it's already been out for more than two weeks so is starting to feel a bit stale.

Is baseball to blame? Maybe. I always get a bit distracted around the start of the season. But as discussed previously, games are played in the morning and early afternoon here, so they don't conflict with the normal hours someone might watch a movie.

I'll get my mojo back I'm sure. Doctor Strange is out now, so I will take the kids to that this weekend probably. Maybe that's what I need to come out of this funk: a Marvel movie. Ha.

Or maybe it's just that COVID works on your brain in such a way that you feel sort of like a shadow of yourself for a while afterward. If this is even "afterward." The cough would suggest otherwise.

Back on board with legit content soon, folks. 

No comments: