Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Sarah Silverman has been "upgraded" to Margot Robbie

I never really think that my little blog has any influence on the larger world, but sometimes I wonder. 

I've written a handful of posts with enough traction that they still get comments even sometimes a decade after I've written them. For some reason, these posts almost all seem to focus on a particular actress -- and not always in ways I'd like to have as part of my legacy, delving into some negative aspect of the actress in question. I don't regularly dwell on negative aspects of actresses, but over the course of 3,121 published posts, I'm bound to do it from time to time -- and these are the posts that seem to catch on with the internet. (Possibly a discussion for another day.)

If this current post "goes viral" within my own ability to do that, it could be for the same reason. But I can't help point things out like this when they happen.

Only two weeks ago, I wrote about how Sarah Silverman was an unlikely poster girl for a video repeatedly advertised to me on YouTube about the 50 most paused movie moments. Not only was I surprised at how frequently this comes up for me (the search term "trailer" has been enough to do so), but by the fact that they chose a picture of Silverman not looking very sexual suggestive as the enticement to click on the link.

Well, either someone read me or they came to the conclusion on their own that they needed someone more traditionally sexy in a more traditionally alluring pose, because the image you see above is now what comes along with this video.

And unlike with the picture of Silverman, I can tell which Margot Robbie movie this is from: The Wolf of Wall Street.

Where indeed, famously, Robbie appears fully nude from the front angle. 

There seems likely to be a little capitalizing on Barbie here as well, given that this is a pink outfit Robbie is wearing and that her appearance in Greta Gerwig's film has made her all the more famous than she was previously. Who wouldn't, I'm sure the thinking goes, want to see Barbie with her clothes removed in a movie they may not be aware of from ten years ago?

The market inefficiency has been corrected, as it always is. 

Incidentally this realization, attained while I was searching up the trailer for Rebel Moon (full review here), comes only a day after I saw Silverman in Maestro. Maybe appearing as Leonard Bernstein's sister was the thing that finally did her in as a spokesmodel for stolen glances at the exposed flesh of actresses? 

No comments: