Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Sarah Silverman: the ultimate temptation for excitable movie nerds

As part of posting my reviews on ReelGood, I regularly go to YouTube to get the film's trailer for embedding in the post.

Almost every time, the first search result I get is the image you see to the right.

The title of the video being pushed on me is "50 Most Paused Movie Moments."

There are a couple things about this I find strange.

One is that the advertiser has apparently paid to have this come up in every YouTube search that contains the word "trailer." I have only a simplistic understanding of how the money works at YouTube, but I do know that to have something like this come up so regularly, in contexts that are so unrelated to it, there has to be money exchanging hands.

What I find strange is that it comes up with the word "trailer." If you are seeking to be titillated on YouTube, how likely is it that the word "trailer" is going to be one of your search terms? A trailer would actually, in most cases, be pretty clean, because most of them are going to be viewed by audiences of potentially all ages. 

Yes there are redband trailers, and you can see those on YouTube too. But the advertiser is overpaying for an algorithm that is not doing what it wants it to do, especially when the most recent trailer I searched for -- getting this result yet again -- was for the Eddie Murphy family Christmas movie Candy Cane Lane. (You can read my review here if you like.)

Then there's the poster girl they've chosen to try to titillate us.

Now, I have no idea which Sarah Silverman movie this is, but the image is barely suggestive of anything naughty. Silverman is in a pool and appears to be wearing a rather modest bathing suit. Is she bottomless? Maybe, but the image certainly isn't implying that. You have to really stretch to get there.

And then there is Silverman herself. I have always found her to be attractive, but never has she presented herself, or been really considered by anyone in the public discourse, to be a traditional beauty or to be traditionally sexy in any way. She's also now 53 years old. You'd be much more likely to use a picture of, I don't know, Megan Fox in an advertisement like this, or maybe Sydney Sweeney if you are trying to stay current -- which for this advertiser, it would really make sense to do to accomplish their goal.

Maybe they got a lifetime contract with YouTube for a relatively small fee, and I will continue to see a picture of Sarah Silverman in a pool wearing a modest bathing suit every time I search for a trailer on YouTube, from now until the end of time. 

No comments: