Wednesday, October 21, 2015

A surefire cure for spoilers


The only real way to avoid spoilers about Star Wars: The Force Awakens is to not read anything about it, look at anything about it, or watch anything about it. Even this newly released poster supposedly contains some previously unspoiled plot and character information, though I'm not trying too hard to piece it together. And then of course there's yesterday's release of the latest (and final?) trailer, which I have not yet watched -- though I suppose it's only a matter of time until I do.

However, at least these are only the spoilers the filmmakers are happy to give us. And I've got a great way to avoid spoilers that are spread the other way, from people who have already seen it.

Simple: See the movie before anybody else does.

And that's what I'll be doing on Thursday, December 17th at 12:01 a.m. Melbourne time, which is 8:01 a.m. Eastern time -- on Wednesday the 16th.

Yesterday my wife surprised me with a birthday present of tickets to the first Melbourne screening. Because our release days are a day earlier anyway, and because our time zone puts us a minimum of 14 hours ahead of the U.S., that means I'll likely be seeing Star Wars: The Force Awakens more than 36 hours before even the most ardent American fans out there. It's possible I'll see it even before the early critical buzz has christened it as a classic or damned it as another misfire.

Try spoiling this movie for me now, trolls!

Assuming that the problem of having the movie spoiled for me will be solved by this, the next problem is how to start watching a movie that's two hours and 16 minutes at midnight.

Then again, with the crowd whoopering and hollering and cheering constantly, I don't think nodding off will even be a consideration.

I can't wait.

No comments: