Monday, January 23, 2023

Stop yelling at me, Letterboxd

Inu-oh is just the latest movie Letterboxd is telling me to spell with all capital letters.

Whether it's someone's overly literal interpretation of this poster -- "well, the title is in all capital letters so I guess that means something" -- or something they've gotten from the press materials, Letterboxd serves up the eccentric anime from director Masaaki Yusua with five capital letters. 

For some reason, I'm inclined to go with two capital letters: Inu-Oh. I don't know why I feel like there should be another capital after the hyphen, but it looks better to me that way. I think it's a carry-on effect from thinking that Korean first names should get a capital after the hyphen, like "Park Chan-Wook" rather than "Park Chan-wook." I mean, I already know it's a whole different culture from the ordering of the names. I should not be trying to apply French rules ("Jean-Pierre") to it.

IMDB, which I always find the ultimate source on these sorts of issues, goes with Inu-oh, so that's what I've decided to do too.

But this seems to be a consistent thing on Letterboxd. As follows:

And:

Each of these titles bothers me for an additional reason.

Not only is Alejandro G. Inarritu up to his normal hifalutin titular word salads with this one, but the capitalization of only "BARDO" seems to suggest it's an acronym, rather than a Buddhist word indicating "an intermediate, transitional, or liminal state between death and rebirth." Maybe BARDO could mean "Bring Alejandro Richly Deserved Oscars."

With Tar, it's the accent. I'm not going to go to the trouble to find that accent on my keyboard whenever I want to talk about this movie.

All of these movies have normal mixed capitalization on IMDB, so it really seems to be a Letterboxd thing.

I do have one fully capitalized title among my 2022 films, because like last year's CODA, it really is an acronym. RRR stands for Rise Roar Revolt, and in this case, I'm very happy for the abbreviation.

No comments: