Wednesday, April 22, 2015

It's Nova season again


For most Australian cinemas, the new movie year begins in late January or early February. That factors in the couple-week time shift of the shitty movies released on the first U.S. release date of the year.

For an independent cinema like Cinema Nova in Carlton, it's more like mid-April.

I can't tell you how many times I've checked the "Now Playing" section on the Nova website in the last month or two and found only the late-arriving 2014 awards movies still clogging up the roster. Even now the following 2014 movies are still playing: Big Eyes, Birdman, Boyhood (re-release, I think), Citizenfour, Infinitely Polar Bear, Inherent Vice, Leviathan, Love is Strange, Mommy, Selma, Still Alice, The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything, Whiplash and Wild. (They have a lot of screens.)

But as of last Thursday, two new movies have opened, signifying a return to the days when I will reliably visit Nova every second Monday night or so to consume an actual new independent release.

One of them -- It Follows -- I caught this past Monday night. Noah Baumbach's latest, While We're Young, is my next target.

Happy days are here again.

(Sorry if you came here for a discussion of It Follows. There is plenty I could say about this movie, which I found quite captivating if flawed, but I'll save that for another day.)

No comments: