Monday, February 25, 2019

Leaving the Oscars to the fates

So I’ve arrived at work on Monday, February 25th, and because of the time zone I’m in, the Oscars haven’t happened yet.

And whether I’ll ultimately see them or not is quite up in the air.

I left home without figuring out a method of recording the show. So instead of a proactive solution, I’m hoping for a retroactive one.

In case you didn’t read my post from last week, my antenna is not working at home, leaving us without a way to record the show. We only need an antenna a couple times a year because of various live events we want to watch, but it wasn’t working for the Australian Open, and then it wasn’t working for the Super Bowl. Now the Oscars have come and it’s still not working. I’ve fiddled and fussed and unplugged and replugged. Nothing.

And though I found workarounds for those other two, I appear to be out of luck this time.

Two options may remain to me.

The first is that it may be available on YouTube. The results were mixed in terms of searching for past shows. I found a complete version of the show from two years ago, which opened with Justin Timberlake singing that song from – Trolls, was it? That’s had three million views, so obviously no one came after the copyright and sought to take it down. But I can’t find a complete version of last year’s show, which feels a bit ominous. I’m hoping that some eager beaver will upload this one and I might get a chance to watch it in the middle of the American night, when no one’s had a chance to take it down yet.

Then there’s the possibility I’ll be able to watch it through the digitally based “Catch Up TV” function on my service called Fetch. You can watch all sorts of previously aired content this way, and that’s what we usually use when we want non-Netflix-based TV. However, I won’t know if that’s an option until I get home tonight.

Failing that … I may be reading about the Oscars in a recap story online.

Stay tuned.

Actually, tune in to the Oscars, since you can you bastard.

No comments: