Tuesday, July 14, 2020

The most visible Invisible

Not a lot of people have seen a lot of movies in 2020.

Me, I'm the exception. I'm already at almost 50 movies released this year. But I'm sure not everyone is scraping up every single new piece of garbage released by Netflix like I am. (Actually, Netflix is having a pretty good year, when you come right down to it.)

Still, I don't know how there can be anybody who hasn't yet seen The Invisible Man.

Okay, my wife is one. But she doesn't get out to the movies very much these days.

She had been planning to, until we went into lockdown here again in Melbourne, and cinemas, at least in the city, have closed again for at least the next month. When they first opened back on June 22nd, though, she was scheduled to go within the next few days, but it never quite happened.

But she doesn't need to go to the theater to see The Invisible Man. It's available on iTunes. It's available OnDemand. I even saw the BluRay available in the store.

You might say that The Invisible Man is the movie of 2020 so far. It's ubiquitous, despite being Invisible

Something tells me that when the movies open again here, cinema proprietors will again try The Invisible Man, for all the people who skipped all its releases on other platforms.

I guess when I started writing this post, I thought I had more of a point than I ultimately had. But I guess my point really is that this movie is emblematic of what we're going through this year. Almost never these days do you see a movie available for rental/streaming/DVD before it leaves theaters, but because the theater owners are trying to find every conceivable way of wooing patrons without the benefit of new movies to offer them, The Invisible Man is still available months after it became available in your own living room.

The same may be true for Bloodshot, but, well, no one really cares about that movie.

But it's also a candidate for movie of the year, if you consider how bloodshot our eyes are from all this quarantine screen time.

No comments: