Thursday, October 1, 2020

Prime time

Earlier this year, I considered writing a post entitled "Movies I can't access," which would have commented on the growing phenomenon of not being able to see specific movies unless you subscribed to the one service where they were available. Whereas in the past, you could either see them in the theater or wait for the video window, now there are certain films that you just can't see unless you subscribe. 

That's been true for several years in terms of Netflix, though it hadn't been affecting me because I was a Netflix subscriber. But earlier this year I really started to notice that I couldn't see all the movies people were talking about unless I ponied up for at least a few more subscriptions.

And though I hate the idea of subscribing to a hundred different individual streaming packages, yesterday I took another step toward that eventuality. 

That's right, following on the heels of recent additions of Disney+ and AppleTV+, I am now an Amazon Prime subscriber. 

It's my second time as an Amazon subscriber, I should say, but the first was a number of years ago, and totally unwitting on my part. I had accepted a free trial of Amazon Prime when I purchased something on Amazon, just in order to get free shipping I think. It was long enough ago that I hadn't really realized what such a subscription entailed, or what it could get me, and I never even watched any movies using the subscription. In fact, I even forgot entirely I had done it. It was only a year or so later, when I realized I'd been paying for it after my trial period ended, that I got wise and cancelled my membership.

I don't really need another service to look up old films, though I can't deny it will probably be helpful to me. But I do think it's time to remove my obstruction to certain new releases. 

The one I watched last night to celebrate the new service was Blow the Man Down, a small-town crime thriller that holds a special place in my heart because it's set in Maine, where my dad lives and where I went to college. I'd heard this discussed on two podcasts ages ago, probably back in March when it was first released, and had been wondering since then when I'd ever get the chance to watch it.

The answer was simple: Just plunk down $59 for the first year of an annual Amazon Prime membership.

There's a reason for this decision beyond just wanting to be a bigger part of the conversation about new releases on the podcasts I listen to. And that's so I'm no longer Netflix's bitch.

As you may recall, I am writing most of the reviews on ReelGood now that my former editor has departed to focus on other things. (He'll be back to write the occasional review, such as Mank and Tenet, when they both become available to us here in Australia.) During COVID, I've had to turn to streaming content to continue regularly posting new reviews. Unfortunately, that content is limited by the streaming subscriptions I actually have. 

When it was only Netflix, I was basically all Netflix, all the time. Now, of course, not all my reviews of Netflix movies were good, and in fact, I've slammed several of their 2020 releases with ratings of 2/10 or lower. But if your argument is "any press is good press," then indeed I have been doing Netflix's bidding this year. If not for screeners sent to me through my ReelGood contacts for other theatrical and VOD releases, my 2020 content might be Netflix or nothing at all.

Now, at least I can say I've got a second service to select from. I've also got Disney+ and AppleTV+, but they don't seem to release new movies as frequently. Whereas with Amazon Prime, there are a whole host of new Blumhouse movies coming out starting next week, as part of a new(ish) deal between Amazon and Jason Blum. 

I would normally hand off horror to my other writer on ReelGood, as that's his specialty, but I won't in this case as I want to put my new membership to work for me. 

There are still some movies I can't access. Like, I'm not sure when I'll finally get to see the Andy Samberg-Cristin Milioti vehicle Palm Springs, which remains stranded on Hulu, which is not a service you can get in Australia. I'm also still impeded from Seth Rogen's An American Pickle, which is the sole property of HBO. 

But before I figure out whether I'm going to make myself dependant on two more streaming services in order to get my much-desired full coverage, I'll appreciate Amazon for a bit, including Selah and the Spades, which was another movie I heard talked about earlier in the year. Not to mention all the low-budget horror Jason Blum can churn out, starting next week.

This has been a year about trying to figure out how we're going to access movies in general, with theaters closed. Considering that I'm at about my same number of total new movies seen as in previous years, it tells me that by hook or by crook or by an umpteenth new streaming service, I'm managing it. 

No comments: