Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Vote.

I had not planned to watch anything the night before the election. I like to give my eyes a break about one night a week, and I'd watched something every night dating back to the previous Wednesday, in a couple cases more than one thing. And in Australia, the night before the election is actually Tuesday night, not Monday night.

But earlier today, I checked in on the movies I had rented on iTunes, to see if any of them were close to expiration. John Lewis: Good Trouble was not, but I immediately realized: I had to watch this tonight.

For one, it would make a good themed viewing the night before this all goes down. 

More importantly, though, if things don't go as I hope on election day, I won't be able to watch it without sinking into a severe depression. Heck, I still haven't watched that Anthony Wiener documentary from four years ago. Better do it now, appreciate it on its own terms, than risk seeing it through a lens of sorrow, a lens of not having accomplished what Lewis dedicated his life to accomplishing.

Lewis was among the last of the Martin Luther King era civil rights leaders still in politics. He was not only a champion of civil rights for all, specifically Black people, but his specialty was registering people to vote. He was around when the Voting Rights Act of 1965 was signed, and was one of those who worked to bring it to the fore. He trained in non-violent resistance and participated in all the major civil rights marches. He had a tireless passion to make sure the little guy was not disenfranchised.

I didn't know a huge amount about Lewis going into this movie, just the headlines really. And I have to admit it did not always have 100% of my attention. That's no knock on the movie. It's just a true portrait of my mind as we come to the end of an eternal election cycle.

But just being in the presence of this compendium of his achievements was overwhelming. He was part of one liberal government initiative after another during his 33 years representing Georgia's 5th congressional district. When Barack Obama was elected, he wrote this message to Lewis: "It's because of you, John."

At one point in this documentary, Lewis discusses his fears of the possible collapse of American democracy. "As long as I have breath in my body," he says, "I will do what I can."

Lewis no longer has breath in his body. He died in July. To quote a friend on Facebook, "2020 just takes and takes. It never gives."

There are a number of people I wish had outlived the presidency of Donald Trump. One is Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Another is my mother.

I could easily add John Lewis to the list, but you know what? Lewis' legacy will outlive both the presidency and the life of Donald Trump, and I think that's what would have mattered to him.

He got to see the election of the first black president, a moment he greeted by "just crying and crying." Like when Red Sox fans or Cubs fans finally saw their team win the World Series, that was enough for him I'm sure. The rest was gravy.

But it was not in John Lewis' nature to rest. The fight always continued. He fought that fight until he no longer had breath in his body.

Trump is never named nor pictured in John Lewis: Good Trouble. I have no doubt that's intentional. It would have been a decision made with good reason by director Dawn Porter, or, to the extent that he was involved with it, Lewis himself.

John Lewis was defined by being above the fray. Trump is the very definition of the fray. I'm glad he did not dignify him. 

I don't suppose I'm actually speaking to any undecided voters out there right now. There weren't many of you to begin with, and I hope you've made up your mind by now, because you have to get off to the polls.

But if I am, hear my plea. Make sure John Lewis' legacy -- to fight for us, to fight for what's right -- takes a step forward today. He would want every vote to be counted, and would hope that you would vote for the candidate whose actions would reflect his spirit. 

But he'd just want you to vote, whomever you voted for, because that was your birthright. 

Make him proud. Make us all proud today.

No comments: