Thursday, November 30, 2023

Gun jumping

I go into the office on Wednesday every week, Thursday most weeks. Because Cinema Kino is downstairs from my office, I always take a gander at the marquee on Wednesdays, as another way of keeping up on release dates when some of the methods I once used have fallen by the wayside.

The thing about Wednesdays, though, is that it's the day before new movies get released, meaning everything I see on there should be at least six days old.

It's a bit confounding, then, that the marquee changers are already showing tomorrow's new offerings. 

And I'm not talking about late at night when they are legitimately preparing for tomorrow. I'm talking about first thing Wednesday morning. 

This week the phenomenon became egregious enough for me to write about it.

On the marquee you see above, there are no less than three titles that aren't actually coming out until tomorrow (or today, by the time I post this). 

I thought it was four, but then I checked and Saltburn is already playing.

The Old Oak, Uproar and Bottoms are not.

I just think it must be frustrating if you are a potential drive by customer on a Wednesday and you say "Oh, I've heard great things about Bottoms! Think I'll go grab myself a spontaneous viewing."

Only to find out that you are 24 hours early.

I get trying to hype the new product. But isn't this false advertising? Is it too much to ask that the movies that appear on your marquee are actually playing?

To say nothing of the disservice it does to currently playing movies whose heat has cooled enough for them to get dropped from the marquee. I guess Kino is discouraged enough about the viewership of Cat Person that they don't care much about trying to get one last drive by viewing. 

No comments: