Thursday, July 29, 2021

Movies named like soft drinks

Sometimes you notice stupid little themes in the names of new movies coming out and you just have to write a blog post about them. 

If you're me, anyway. Which you aren't, so, you do you.

Me, I'll do me and write this post, even if it ends up being thirsty work. 

You'll see what I mean in a minute. 

When the Netflix movie Moxie, directed by and co-starring Amy Poehler, came out earlier this year, I mentioned in my review that Moxie is also the name of a soft drink that used to be available when I was growing up, and may still be in certain New England novelty stores. It looks like this:

What does it taste like?

Dirt.

Sorry, correction. It tastes like a cross between root beer and dirt.

But I once drank it semi-regularly because some friends of mine liked it and we thought it made us very eccentric.

Just to be completist, this is what the poster looks like:

Now, a new movie is out on Amazon that I've just reviewed called Jolt. And guess what Jolt also is?

A soft drink.

It looks like this:

What does it taste like?

I have no idea. I don't think I've ever had one. But probably not great if I had to guess.

What does the movie taste like?

Dirt.

Sorry, correction. It tastes like a cross between shit and dirt.

Yeah, I didn't much like Moxie -- good try, sort of, Amy Poehler -- but it is a masterpiece compared to Tanya Wexler's obnoxious misfire.

Now I just need them to release a movie called Squirt and the trifecta will be complete. 

There was also a movie that came out this year called Cherry -- on yet a third streaming service, Apple TV+ -- and there's such a thing as cherry soda. But I'm not going to stretch it.

Hard as it may be to believe, I do have my standards. 

No comments: