Sunday, January 16, 2022

It'll stop any day now (any day now, any day now)

Hello, and welcome to my annual "I'm burned out and I just want to stop watching movies from the previous year" post.

It's two days until I post my rankings (after midnight tomorrow actually), I've got two or three viewings left to go (depending on whether I decide to watch one on my Sunday afternoon), and I'm just ... tired.

You may recognize this subject as the lyrics of the song that plays over the closing credits of Bo Burnham: Inside, which I think Burnham intended to relate to the pandemic -- or life, or the human race, or the entire planet earth. It's an ambitious film.

Or you may not recognize those lyrics. You may not have listened to this soundtrack 137 times like I have. (Okay, maybe eight.)

For me, those lyrics are in my head this morning about the 2021 movie ranking season, which has been a long one indeed.

It hasn't actually -- about the same length as most other years, though I'll discuss that in more detail when I post my rankings. The subjective length of it, though, is something you feel when you start ramping up into the official end-of-year phase -- where you rarely go a day without adding to your list -- earlier than usual. I don't know how this year could have been earlier than usual, given that I moved in addition to doing all the normal Christmas stuff. But the fact remains.

The thing about movies is that you can always fit one in at the end of the night, no matter what you're doing, no matter if it's over two hours, which 79.3% of the movies released in 2021 were.

Sleep? P'shaw. 

I'll sleep in a couple days. Actually, I think I will watch that Peter Jackson Beatles documentary ... which is properly classified as a limited television series.

So close, so close ... any day now. 

No comments: