Monday, January 10, 2022

That's one way to market a movie

I checked my ReelGood email today to find a promotional email about a new straight-to-video Bruce Willis special, Midnight in the Switchgrass. It also stars Megan Fox, who could be joining Willis on his fast track to paycheck movie hell. 

It also stars some person named Machine Gun Kelly -- I know who he is, I just think he's stupid -- and that's what I'm writing about today. (Actually I don't know if he's stupid, but his name makes him stupid enough for my purposes.)

The big promotional hook this publicist was selling was that this is the movie where Fox and Kelly started a relationship.

The email subject reads:

"MEGAN FOX and MACHINE GUN KELLY hookup film lands on #1 spot on iTunes within 24 hours - starring Bruce Willis"

Don't worry Bruce, we didn't forget you.

When I first glanced at the email, I thought it was a "hookup film," in other words, a film where two characters hook up. But no, Midnight in the Switchgrass is just your standard detective v. serial killer movie, based on somebody called "the truck stop killer."

I guess the fact that two actors started bumping uglies while working together on a movie is a plausible way to sell it, especially in the tabloid/Kardashian/social media hell that is our world today. (If I were any younger I would have come up with a more current reference there than Kim Kardashian. Maybe at least Kylie Jenner.) I mean, I was always interested in Two Much because that's where Antonio Banderas and Melanie Griffith started dating. (No I wasn't.)

But maybe the fact that the other person is some person named Machine Gun Kelly makes me resent it all the more. 

Incidentally, this is a great picture of Willis. He looks confused and angry. I guess many an elderly gentleman find themselves in that situation. 

Carry on.

No comments: