Sunday, December 8, 2013

Simliar titles, 2013


By about this point in the weekend I've usually mapped out which movie I'm going to see on discount Monday at Cinema Nova. Tomorrow, it'll be The Spectacular Now (possibly in a double feature with 20 Feet From Stardom, if I have time and the screening times match up).

Determining this made me realize that The Spectacular Now has a similar title to the movie I saw last Monday, How I Live Now.

If you don't think sharing the word "Now" is noteworthy enough to mention, consider that I've seen only five other films altogether that have the word "Now" in their title (Apocalypse Now, Don't Look Now, Go Now, Now You See Me and Paradise Now). That's out of 3,859 total films I've seen. One of those five -- Now You See Me -- also hails from the year 2013.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that 2013 has been a year that's seen many similar titles. Let's consider some others:

What in the world? In a World ..., The World's End, World War Z

The most dangerous game. Ender's Game, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

In the end. Ender's Game, John Dies at the End, This is the End, The World's End

Someone the so-and-so. Jack the Giant Slayer, Oz the Great and Powerful

Fortysomething. 42, Movie 43

Achieving greatness. The Great Gatsby, Oz the Great and Powerful

Gotta get away. Escape from Planet Earth, Escape from Tomorrow, Escape Plan

Sound advice. Berberian Sound Studio, Sound City

One year too late. Short Term 12, 12 Years a Slave

Getting dark in here. Dark Skies, A Dark Truth, Star Trek Into Darkness, Thor: The Dark World

Best men. Best Man Down, The Best Man Holiday

Down and out. Best Man Down, Dead Man Down, Officer Down, White House Down

I don't want to be naive and suggest that you couldn't sit down and do this in many years, and certainly, there are some common words that recur in movie titles regularly over time.

However, I did enjoy sitting down and looking at some of the similarities in this particular year. Let me know of any I may have missed.

No comments: