Saturday, September 15, 2018

Netflix devours the upper echelon of great directors

When it was announced -- ages ago, it now feels like -- that Martin Scorsese's next film was going to call Netflix home, it seemed like kind of a one-off. It probably shouldn't have, as things like this often indicate trends. But at the time I thought "Why would someone like Scorsese cede the biggest cinematic stage in order to tell his larger-than-life stories? Surely others won't follow suit."

Well, they're following suit.

Steadily since then we've seen films debut on Netflix by other highly acclaimed directors, such as Noah Baumbach and Joon Bong-ho. The list starts but certainly does not end there.

However, the extent to which this is indeed a trend -- an alarming trend -- did not occur to me until this past week, when I learned for the first time about the Netflix debut of Alfonso Cuaron's new film, and about the very existence and Netflix debut of Joel & Ethan Coen's new film.

When two directors (or directing units) have directed a film you've named your #1 film of the year, and you learn in the same week that their next project is on Netflix, it tends to capture your attention.

Technically speaking, the Coens have never directed a #1 movie of the year for me since I've begun keeping track of such things back in 1996. But they've directed my #1 movie of all time (Raising Arizona), so yeah, I think I can just barely justify squeezing them into this conversation.

I knew that Cuaron -- director of my #1 film of 2006, Children of Men -- had made his long-anticipated follow-up to Gravity, Roma, and that it had done well at Venice. I didn't know about its Netflix associations until just reading an article on this year's Oscar hopefuls. The writer wasn't sure if the Academy would be willing to honor Netflix with its first best picture nomination.

The case of The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was a bit more alarming in the sense that I didn't even know the Coens had a new movie coming out. So I learned about the existence of the movie, and the fact that it's debuting on Netflix in November (with the same nominal theatrical release Roma is getting, of course), in one fell swoop.

It could be argued that Netflix is an appropriate platform, in some respects, for these films, or at least less inappropriate than some of their other films would have been. Roma is a semi-autobiographical black-and-white film about a year in the life of a Mexican family in the 1970s, so it's not like it requires the same type of platform as Gravity. It's the first Cuaron film since Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban not to be shot by Emmanuel Lubezki (Cuaron himself is the DP), so that's another reason it could possibly more easily slide onto the small screen. As for Buster Scruggs, about which I know less, any Coen movie is visually dynamic and would best be seen on a big screen, but it's not like they're making movies about astronauts floating around in space. It's not like this is a Christopher Nolan film debuting on Netflix (that'll never happen, even if both Nolan and Netflix live to 100).

But then there's the more dominant argument, which is that any film, regardless of its scope or ambition, should be seen on the big screen. And those who are best at making films are therefore all the more likely to demand a big screen viewing of their films.

I haven't looked into the finances behind these, whether Netflix cut a several-movie deal with these directors (God I hope not) or whether their financing was the only thing that allowed the directors to make the films they wanted, the way they wanted (a lot more likely, especially in Cuaron's case, with a film less likely to find a big commercial audience). If I were being a journalist I would have to do that. But for now, I'm wearing my internet curmudgeon hat, so I'm not doing it.

Besides, the details of these agreements are not the point. The point is that Netflix is increasingly likely to entice the very best at what they do into marginalizing their own products on the small screen. You can say that the films wouldn't even be made if not by Netflix (which is a shame and I hope not true). You can say that these films will have a moment on the big screen, for people who seek them out. But the reality is that most people (including me) will probably see them on a TV, and that's a disappointing outcome for cinema's best.

There is one clear advantage I can see, and it relates to those #1 films I was talking about earlier. Both directors will indeed qualify for my #1 movie of 2018, as their movies' availability on Netflix guarantees I will be able to see them before my ranking deadline in late January. I've never missed the chance to rank a film by either of these directors, but I had to see Inside Llewyn Davis on the very last day before my list closed (which was the day it opened here in Australia), and Roma seems like just the type of film that would have a limited Christmas release in LA and New York and not open in Australia until late February.

But if I'm seeing the films on the small screen, what realistic chance will they have to be my #1 movie anyway? In my entire history of naming my favorite movie of the year, only three of them have come from movies I first saw on the small screen. Only three.

That could just be due to my diligence in seeking out the movies I'm most likely to love on the big screen.

Or, it could be that the big screen really contributes in some meaningful way to a film's power to envelope you in its world.

2 comments:

Dell said...

I'm kind of torn on the Netflix issue. On one hand, I understand the desire to see, and have seen, movies on the big screen. I agree films are best experienced that way. However, I find that truly great films can draw you in no matter how you watch them. For instance, Children of Men is also my #1 movie of '06. I first saw it at home on an old tube TV before I even had a flatscreen. I saw Gravity the same way and loved it, too. Yes, I was way later than much of the world on switching over from those obese hunks of plastic to a streamlined flatscreen. Since I've upgraded my home viewing into the modern era I first saw Dunkirk on blu ray and was fully immersed. I'm a big fan of Scorsese, but I've never seen one of his movies in the theater. I surprised myself when I thought about that, double-checked it, and realized it's true. Crazy, I know.

From the standpoint of the directors, each one has a decision to make. Is it about getting their movie seen on the big screen or about getting it seen by as many people as soon as possible? If Netflix is offering them budgets big enough for them to make great movies with greater creative control and immediate global distribution that's pretty tough to turn down.

As a viewer, if I get wonderful films out of this deal, I'm okay with only watching them at home. I know a TV set is no match for a big screen, but with most homes having a TV ranging from 40 to 60 inches, the gap is not as large as it once was. Enjoying that in the intimacy of your own living room without having to worry about the viewing habits of strangers is enticing to lots of people.

The one real gripe I have is something you touched on. I wished Netflix would better promote these movies so people knew they were coming. Trailers should show up on the internet, during sporting events, and prime-time television just like they do for the big theater releases. The next Martin Scorsese flick isn't something that should just show up in the "Recently Added" section where it might be missed.

Derek Armstrong said...

All good points Wendell. And I have to agree that ultimately, quality trumps. I say a film is not likely to be my favorite of the year if I watch it at home for the first time, and I think that's partly because of the distractions of home -- the likelihood that you would pause it for one reason or another, watch it while something else is going on in the environment, etc. Well, I called Ruby Sparks my favorite film of 2012 and that was one I started one night before falling asleep, and finished the next morning. No worse example of a distraction than that, yet the film's unexpected quality shone through.

It's a reality of our lives so we will certainly have to accept it ... but not without griping about it in a blog post every once in a while. :-)