Friday, September 14, 2018

That note Lady Gaga sings

I've heard fellow cinephiles say that if they never hear anything else about Bradley Cooper's A Star is Born, it will be too soon. But not me.

I've seen the trailer two times? three times? and each time I think I'm annoyed when I see it starting. There's that part of me that looks sideways at yet another remake of this story and wonders about the dubious legitimacy of Lady Gaga's stardom.

And then I remember: "Wait, this is a really good trailer."

"And it has that note."

I'm getting chills even now as I type it.

Since I have to think you've seen this trailer also, you know what I'm talking about.

It's when Bradley Cooper's super-cool, cowboy-hat-wearing rock n' roll legend convinces Gaga to come up on stage and "sing that song I love." She's shy and nervous and people have told her she's ugly. But she finally decides to trust him, as he asks her to do, and ...

"Ohhhhh oh oh. Oh oh! Ohhh oh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

Yeah, I can't do it justice like Gaga can.

Is that a note? A series of notes? Anyway.

Now I'm hearing that this might not just be a B-grade crowd pleaser, but an actual Oscar contender.

Suddenly, I'm really looking forward to October 18th.

No comments: