Thursday, January 17, 2019

Perfunctory as

I'm going to see Mary Queen of Scots tonight, and I could not care less.

It will be my last theatrical outing in my ranking season, and I could not care less.

Yep, really going out with a whimper this year.

In years past, the slate of new movies getting released on Thursday, January 17th, the last Australian release date before the Oscar nominations on Tuesday, might have been formidable. In fact, there were a couple years in there where the Oscar nominations were revealed on a Thursday, meaning I had just enough time to squeeze in that day's new releases before it became Thursday in America. In 2015, I saw a triple feature of The Hateful Eight, Carol and The Big Short, all on that day. (That was actually 2016, but the movie year was 2015.)

No such drama this year.

As I described in this post, this is the only movie it seems even remotely useful for me to try to catch that's coming out today. And I kind of feel like I already saw it when I saw The Favourite last week. The best I can hope for is for it to be kind of like The Favourite, and I was only mixed on that. I already know it hasn't made many, or maybe any, top ten lists this year.

But I kind of already told you all this in the post referenced above, so why am I repeating it here?

I guess the only difference is, now that the day has actually arrived, I'm sure I don't care? And I haven't written anything since Monday? Didn't I say I was going to stop caring about lapses between posts on this blog, especially those as short as this one?

Or maybe it's to tell you about a certain Australian phrasing that I like that I've used in this post's subject.

In Australia people have a tendency toward the following structure for two-word comments: "[adjective] as." You're most likely to hear "sweet as," followed closely in frequency by "easy as." From the context you can probably figure it out, but it's essentially "sweet as [some unsaid thing that is also sweet]," or "easy as [the easiest thing you can think of]."

Here, I'll use it in a sentence: "You're coming out to the movies with us tonight? Sweet as!"

I can't totally pull it off when I say it, so I don't really try, but I do like it.

So my viewing of Mary Queen of Scots is going to be "perfunctory as."

Wish me luck, or at least a reaction with more of a pulse than mere indifference.

No comments: