Wednesday, August 7, 2019

MIFF: The Day Shall Come ... when I see only one film

At least, only one MIFF film.

The second film slot on Tuesday night went to the important task of keeping up with new releases that might otherwise fall by the wayside during the festival. Unfortunately, Midsommar and Late Night were still two days away from coming out, and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood still nine days, so I had to choose between Hobbes & Shaw and Ophelia, a new taken on Hamlet from the perspective of Daisy Ridley’s title character. I can’t say that I’m disappointed that I chose Ophelia because I don’t know if I would have liked Hobbes & Shaw less, but I can tell you that I liked Ophelia less than I was hoping I would like it. (Shakespeare purists need not prioritize this one. Full review here if you’re interested.)

The night’s only MIFF film was again at The Capitol, and to give you some sense of the beauty of this place, here, I’ve taken a picture:


That’s the ceiling, and the colors change from blue to pink to green to yellow. Especially when they are blue, they look kind of like a giant alien spacecraft landing on your head. It’s neat.

The Day Shall Come is Chris Morris’ follow-up to 2010’s Four Lions, the comedy about hapless jihadists trying to pull off a terror attack, which actually has a surprising amount of heart. I liked that movie a lot, making it all the more perplexing that it’s taken him nearly a decade to make his next film. Who knows, maybe he was doing other things. Interestingly, there’s no poster yet online, so I've gone with a still image instead.

This one is very much within the spirit of Four Lions, but I think the switch away from England to the U.S. does something to the sense of humor I appreciated so much in that one. Then there’s the fact that this movie goes into the well-worn territory of mining humor from bureaucracy, the calling card of a guy like Armando Iannucci. I was even reminded of the Coens’ Burn After Reading here, which is never a good thing.

The hapless terrorists in this case are a would-be black militia in Florida. The “would be” has to do with the fact that there are only four of them, and their leader believes he’s getting messages from God. They’re political, but more than anything, they just want to run their farm and burgeoning (or so they think) collective. But they’re also broke and facing eviction, so they get embroiled in a plan involving more undercover agents than you can shake a stick at, and the possible purchase/sale/donation of weapons ranging from guns to nuclear. All they really want to do is pay the rent, but things escalate quickly.

This was a film I resisted at first that ultimately really won me over, though my initial resistance lingered enough that I ended up on 3.5 stars on it. The others in my crowd were laughing hysterically, but I was a bit more reserved in my enthusiasm. Although this film also has a lot of heart and the militia is very sympathetic, I did have a bit of trouble seeing them as figures of fun, which could be my heightened sensitivity to the pitfalls of race-based humor. I don’t think any of the humor here is actually negative in any true racial sense, but it just made me a bit uncomfortable that the leader was so delusional. Maybe it’s a variation on what Denis O’Hare’s FBI agent says, which is that it’s okay to pin a terrorist plot on brown-skilled people, but the optics are off if you try to do it with African Americans.

Okay, I’ll end this post there as I need to save up my typing fingers for tonight’s two-movie night

No comments: