Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Serenity resurrected

This gives the term “zombie movie” a whole new meaning.

About ten days ago, I watched one of the worst movies of the year, Serenity, on a 99-cent iTunes rental. About eight days ago, its 48-hour rental window expired.

About five days ago, it appeared among my iTunes rentals again, giving me another ten days to potentially watch it again before the original 30-day window expires.

It’s not the first time I’ve had a movie exist for my viewing beyond the 48-hour rental window. Last year, when I watched Mom and Dad, it simply never started counting down the 48-hour rental window, so I got to watch it again before the 30 days were up. It landed in my top ten for the year, so that was fortuitous.

But this is the first time I’ve had a movie start and finish that 48-hour window, disappear from my iTunes entirely, and then reappear for reasons unknown, sometime later within that 30-day window.

Probably speaks to my iTunes being several versions out of date, I would guess. 

In this case I have no desire to watch it again, as it was, as I said, one of the worst movies of the year. However, it might almost be worth watching again just for the “so bad it’s good” factor, if only there weren’t so many other demands on my viewing schedule at this time of the year.

Just for curiosity’s sake, I’m tempted to press play to see if it would, indeed, play again, or if it would realize its own paradoxical existence and burst into flames or something. Because I don’t want my computer to burst into flames, I haven’t done this yet.

Or maybe a zombified version of the characters would start to crawl out of the screen at me, The Ring-style.

If you haven’t seen or read any details on Steven Knight’s bizarre follow-up to Locke, you should. The story is wackadoodle, and so are the performances.

No comments: