Saturday, August 8, 2020

Revolori family resemblance

I had it on good authority that the 2020 remake of Valley Girl might actually be good. Two things made me suspicious of this:

1) The last time I saw it, I decided I don't actually like the original. It totally fell flat for me.

2) Although it isn't her, the girl in this poster reminds me a lot of Chloe Grace Moretz, so I had a subliminal negative reaction. (It's actually Jessica Rothe from Happy Death Day, who looks nothing like Moretz in real life.)

But when my friend who reported on the qualities of the movie reminded me, or maybe told me for the first time, that it's a jukebox musical, I became a lot more curious. The fact that it has already come to my streaming service Stan sealed the deal, and on Friday night I watched it.

He was right. It's good. It's not great, but it is light and fun and very enjoyable. I was particularly impressed by Rothe, who I had sort of written off after HDD (which I didn't like), thinking of her as merely a Blake Lively clone. She's a lot more than that.

But I'm not really here to talk about Rothe or even the movie. In fact, the thing I'm here to talk about probably doesn't even warrant its own post, but then again, it's quarantine and I can write about whatever I damn please.

As I was watching Rothe's character intermingle with the "punks," I recognized this guy:


I was doing a lot of looking up of actors during this movie, and I decided to look him up, pretty sure it was Tony Revolori of The Grand Budapest Hotel and Spider-Man: Homecoming fame.

It wasn't Tony Revolori, but it was a Revolori alright: Tony's brother Mario.

"A brother looks like his brother, Vance. What's the big deal?"

Well for one, I didn't even know Tony Revolori had a brother, and I definitely didn't know he was also an actor. It was much more likely that it was just some other actor and didn't share Tony Revolori's DNA.

I guess there's no #2.

See, I told you it wasn't worth its own post.

No comments: