Friday, February 16, 2024

Movie milk

I was walking back to my office from getting my bagel on Wednesday -- the bagel place that had been closed for a year! -- and I noticed this excessively large quantity of milk outside the movie theater downstairs from my office.

And I thought:

"What the hell does a movie theater need with that much milk?"

Now, this is a fancy movie theater and they do make coffee. But as far as I know, they do not offer milkshakes, bowls of cereal, chowder made on site, macaroni and cheese, any of the other things you can imagine requiring an excessive quantity of milk, or even milk by the glass.

Even if you do suppose they are getting in this much milk just to steam it for lattes, it begs the questions:

1) How many people are taking a coffee into the movie theater? If there's one time when you want not to let your bowels take command of you, it's entering into a darkened theater for two hours, one that you can't afford to leave without losing at least five minutes of plot.

2) Even if they do make a lot of coffees at this theater, wouldn't it be better to get a dozen or so bottles and then order a dozen more, rather than getting 30 and risk dumping half of them because you don't use them by the expiration date?

However, I'm going to give the good people who run Cinema Kino the benefit of the doubt and assume they are not stupid. They wouldn't make this sort of order if their usage patterns didn't justify it. Especially nowadays, you can't expect to be profligate and still succeed in the movie theater business.

I guess it just surprises me that this is, indeed, the sort of order they would require on a regular basis.

Maybe they need so much because whoever is delivering it is just leaving it outside the front door, hours before they open, so passersby are only too happy to help themselves to a crate or two.

No comments: