Sunday, January 29, 2017

Garths vs. Gareths


When I first heard the name of the director of Lion, I thought "Is that one of those two Garths I always talk about?"

Of course, the two Garths I always talk about are actually Gareths. And I always talk about them because they both have a last name that begins with E.

Gareth Edwards directed Monsters, Godzilla and Rogue One. Gareth Evans directed the Raid movies. And the thing I "always" say about them is that it must be really annoying that they both came to prominence within the past few years, making it a virtual certainty that people would confuse them for each other.

Garth Davis is the director of Lion, and it's his first feature. But he doesn't have any peace -- even as the only member of the group with a best picture nomination to his credit -- because another movie released within the past month, Sing, was directed by Garth Jennings. And like Gareth Edwards, Garth Jennings also has some high-profile sci-fi to his credit, as he directed The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

It's complicated.

At one point the only Garth that anybody knew about was Garth Algar, Wayne's buddy. Back then, if you were named Garth, you had it all to yourself, and it was party time, excellent.

But now there are Garths coming out the wazoo, even if only some of them are actually named Garth.

And Gareth? That guy from the British Office, Gareth Keenan, used to have it all to himself. But before he could say "Why's my stapler in that jello?" he was joined by Evans and Edwards.

Don't mind me. I'm just riffing here.

What do Jennie Garth, Garth Brooks, Garrett Hedland, Garret Dillahunt and Brad Garrett have to say about this?

I'll let you know.

No comments: