Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Utkarsh Ambudkar is not Siddharth Dhananjay

Is it racist if I say I confused the two American actors of Indian descent who can both rap?

The incredible performance by Utkarsh Ambudkar at the Oscars – he not only wrote his rap as the show was running, but also memorized it – reminded me of the other times I have enjoyed Ambudkar on screen, including Brittany Runs a Marathon and Patti Cake$. (Not so much Game Over, Man!, which was my least favorite movie of 2018.)

Only Ambudkar is not in Patti Cake$. That’s Siddharth Dhananjay.

My confusion came when I watched Brittany, actually. I was trying to place Ambudkar and I thought “Ah yes, that’s the guy in Patti Cake$.” When in fact I was probably remembering him from Game Over, Man!, if from anything at all.

Plus, they both rap, so there’s that. I didn’t know that when I saw Brittany, as rapping is not part of the character Ambudkar plays in that film. It is, however, the central part of Dhananjay’s character in Patti Cake$, so when I saw Ambudkar rapping at the Oscars, it only increased my certainty that they were the same person.

Before you go saying “What, all people of Indian descent look the same?”, let me show you a picture of them side by side. You have to admit the physical similarity. That’s Ambudkar on the left and Dhananjay on the right.


Okay, they’re not identical twins or anything. But they have a similar build and I do think there are similarities in their faces.

The scarcity of American actors of Indian descent also helps with the confusion. You’ve got Aziz Ansari, Kal Penn and (no, not Kumail Nanjiani, he’s of Pakistani descent). Internationally, you’ve got Dev Patel. In other words, there are few enough guys out there that if two of them look similar and they both have the ability to rap, it’s easy enough to assume they are probably the same guy, without committing a hate crime or anything. (Plus, Dhananjay wears a durag for most of Cake$) 

I really enjoyed Dhananjay in Patti Cake$ so I’m kind of disappointed his career hasn’t really taken off. Then again, I guess that’s not fair to say – he’s continued working, it’s just I haven’t seen anything else he’s done.

Maybe after the Oscars, Ambudkar’s career will take off.

In either case, now that I’ve done this little exercise, I won’t confuse them again.

No comments: