Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Who or what the hell?

I've written posts before about how when they're advertising a movie and they need to choose a still from the trailer for social media, they'll choose the most salacious image possible in order to get the extra clicks. This was one example of such a post.

However, when a freeze frame is chosen and you don't even know what the hell you're looking at, I just don't know what to make of it.

That was my experience when coming across this Facebook ad for The Marvels. I spent about two minutes trying to orient myself within the image and figure out what anything was, before giving up.

Okay, so only one thing do I know I'm looking at for sure: hair. The thing above the play symbol looks like it could be a shoulder, so maybe the person is wearing a sheer black sleeve, and there's some kind of cleavage visible to the right side of the play button. This, then, would be a traditional clickbait and switch.

But the more I look at the photo, the less I'm willing to commit on anything but the hair.

And the other thing is, whose hair is that? That's not the way Brie Larson wears her hair in the movie, and sure as hell not the way Iman Vellani, Teyonah Paris nor Zawe Ashton wears her hair. 

Okay, looking at some of the other pictures of the movie, I guess it would have to be Larson's hair. But then anything nearby her in the picture that might be clothes couldn't be clothes, because Larson no more wears a sheer sleeve outfit in this movie than she wears a tuxedo. She's either in uniform or wearing sort of dressed-down casual clothing.

And what's going on in the upper half of the photo? It looks like some sort of control room, maybe. And there are control rooms in The Marvels.

But then in the upper left hand corner it looks sort of like a woman in a black cocktail dress with her right arm stretch out in a come hither pose, but that is totally not something that happens in this movie either.

The only other things I can possibly identify are in the lower right-hand corner. That might be a little slice of the earth seen from space. And that might be some kind of handheld computerized device with a green display. But they could also be literally anything else. 

I guess we are just looking at the rare occasion when someone completely botches their assignment to raise awareness of a product on social media, and perhaps I captured it in the few moments between when it was first published and when someone shared with them a variation on the thoughts I've just written, causing it to be taken down and fixed. 

No comments: