Tuesday, March 17, 2015

From Water Babies to The East: 3000 movies on video


When I thought about writing a post to commemorate my 3000th movie seen on video, I didn't remember that I'd actually already done this for my 2000th.

What can I say. I notice, and write about, milestones.

Adding the movie Water Babies to this post showed me that a Water Babies label already existed, and I soon found the post where Anitchrist had been written about as my 2000th movie on video back on January 18, 2010. 

Little more than five years later, I've added another thousand.

The movie this time was The East, directed by the director with my favorite name in the biz: Zal Batmanglij. 

It was about 35 years ago that I got started watching movies on video. That first one, Water Babies, was watched at my friend Jed Lambert's house on his Betamax. As I wrote in the Antichrist post, I also remember watching The Black Hole at his house around that time, but I'd already seen that in the theater. The Black Hole may have been the first movie I ever saw twice, but that's another post for another time. 

This time around, it's probably as interesting to talk about the speed with which I watched another thousand as the milestone itself. Watching 1000 movies, period, in five years and two months would be pretty impressive for most people. But that discounts all the movies I've seen in the theater during that time.

However, I also acknowledge each time I reach another milestone of one thousand movies seen, so we don't need to go into too much detail there either. I'm at 4,157 right now, so don't worry, there's a while still to go before we get to the next one of those.

So what do I want to use today's post to do?

Not much. I guess I'm not feeling particularly philosophical today. 

It's a milestone and milestones should be marked, so let's just do that and be done with it.

No comments: